Unbroken Faith by Samantha Hayman

                                         

My name is Samantha, and this is a hard story to tell because I am still living it.

On August 20, 2026, I was riding my motorcycle when a car pulled out and hit me. In one instant, my whole life changed. I was badly hurt—my pelvis, ribs, lung, and both wrists were injured—and I was rushed to the hospital. I went from being very active and independent to needing help with almost everything.


But there is something from that day I will never forget. My first words to the woman who hit me were, “I forgive you.”


Later, I kept thinking, How did those words even come out of my mouth? I truly believe they came from God, not from me. I am not angry with her. I do not understand why this happened, and I do not have every answer. But I know God was with me in that moment, and He is still with me now.


Recovery has been part of my life for a long time. God willing, on December 24, 2026, I will celebrate 20 years sober from alcohol and other mind-altering substances. Recovery taught me how to surrender. It taught me that I cannot control people, places, or things—but I can turn my life over to God and take the next right step.


God has also taught me how to live through pain. In 2005, when I was drinking, I fell about 15 feet from a roof and hurt my back. I have lived with chronic pain for many years. I have learned how to keep going even when my body hurts. But this accident has humbled me in a whole new way. Right now, healing is my full-time job.


Before the accident, I was active. I ran, rode my motorcycle, worked, studied psychology, and cared for my family. I was close to finishing my degree. I love school, and I have a calling to become a Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor. I want to work with children who have been through trauma and addiction and help them understand that they are not alone.


That calling has not gone away. My plans may have changed for right now, but my calling is still there.


A few days before the accident, I was in church and renewed that calling. We prayed over it together. Four days later, the accident happened. Sometimes I have asked God, What is the plan here? But I am learning that I do not have to understand the whole plan. I just have to trust Him for today.


My family has been such a gift through all of this. My mother, sister, children, friends, and church family have surrounded me with love. My son Graham is almost 17, doing great in school, and he just got his own car. I am so proud of him.


This church is deeply connected to my heart and my family. My father brought me here when I was a little girl, just as his mother brought him to church when he was young. My children were baptized here. We have celebrated important moments here, and we have said goodbye to people we love here too. After my father passed away, I opened a hymnal and found his name written inside. I wrote, “I love you, Daddy.” That moment meant so much to me.


God also brought Trey into my life in a way that truly feels like a miracle. We were planning our first date at Canobie Lake Park, but we had not even met face-to-face yet. When he heard that I had been in this serious motorcycle accident, he came right to the hospital. The first time we met in person was there.


Since then, Trey has been by my side every single day. He has made sacrifices and adjustments in his own life to be here with me and help me through this. He has brought so much joy, praise, and God’s Word into my life. That has been such a blessing.


Even in the hospital, God has shown us that we can still be used. Trey pushes me in my wheelchair down the halls, and together we have gone room to room praying for people, sharing the gospel, and encouraging others. I may not be able to walk right now, but I can still smile, look someone in the eyes, and remind them that God sees them.


I have always believed that my smile can be part of my ministry. It does not mean I do not have pain. I do. It does not mean I do not struggle. I do. But I can still choose to bring light into a room, because God has carried me through too much for me to keep that light to myself.


Right now, I had to withdraw from school for the semester because my injuries are too severe. That broke my heart because I love learning and I wanted so badly to keep going. But I am learning to give myself grace. I need to heal one day at a time.


Trey and I have also been praying over the Armor of God from Ephesians 6. We each chose three pieces of the armor to carry with us and pray over. One day, when we are back together in church, we will put them together on one keychain.


That is a picture of what God is doing in my life. I may be physically weak right now, but He is teaching me how to stand strong in Him.


My story is not finished. I do not know exactly what the future will look like, or how long this recovery will take. But I know God has not left me. I know He still has a purpose for my life. And I know that one day, I will use everything I have walked through—recovery, pain, forgiveness, faith, and healing—to help someone else.


For now, I will heal one day at a time.


I will trust God.


I will keep smiling.


I will keep praying.


And I will keep putting on the full armor of God.


Because this accident is part of my story, but it is not the end of my story.


God is still writing it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wellfleet UMC Monthly Newsletter (9.6.26)

💖 Update and Prayer for Samantha 💖